Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tribute to Jian

Tribute to Jian

TRUE STORY:

Jian fought a long hard battle.Abandoned by her mother at just 3 days old, I tried to desperately to feed her with a small eye dropper.

But she needed her mother’s milk, not formula from a can.She failed to thrive, her little ribs showing beneath her silky white fur, her back- bone sharp against my palm.

I went to feed her just now and she was unresponsive.I held her in my hand while she struggled and gasped for air - her little mouth and paws turning blue from lack of oxygen. ‘Jian’ means strong in Chinese. I gave her that name in the superstitious belief she’d take strength from it.

But at just nine days old the fight was over.Though she never lost her grace and dignity.Even when her paws clawed the air for that one last breath.Even though her fur was matted from the sweat on my palm.

The saddest thing is; this little kitten never got to see the world.She had never even opened her eyes.I like to think that as her soul left its earthly moorings, and as she bounded towards the rainbow bridge, She turned back and said,"I know you loved me, and I'll see you again sometime."

Then she vanished into the rainbow, leaving a trail of my tears in her wake.

No comments: